Thursday, December 29, 2005
Yay!!! I finally got back to Val's quilt. I was intimidated by the number of pieces -- most of them triangles -- per block, and I was concerned about getting all the fabrics in the right spot (16 fabrics swirl around), so I kept putting off starting to sew all those little pieces together. But I now am sewing in the basement, which gives me lots of room to lay out a quilt, and so I finally started. It's working! Here you can see only the layout (most of it), but I have now sewn 9 blocks. And guess what? It's not that hard! I love it! Will post a finished block soon.
Here's a quilt kit Jocelyn and I (mostly JJ) made for Linus. There were some Barbie fabrics in the stash, so we found coordinating prints, including both a pink and a blue with shiny silver stars, to make a kit. Jocelyn cut the whole thing out. The Linus committee makes kits and then members of the Illini Country Stitchers Guild take home a kit and turn it into a quilt.
I am waaaay behind in my posts! The kids are home for winter break and have taken to quilting. In her first two days home, Jocelyn made this quilt! Over Thanksgiving we were in New York and saw a painting at MoMA that looked like it would translate easily to a quilt. Jocelyn wasted no time in doing it. The painting is by Ellsworth Kelly, Colors for a Large Wall. Check it out on MoMA's website, where they have conveniently made it into an ecard.
We currently have the local Project Linus stash in our basement, and amazingly Jocelyn found almost all the colors among the donated fabrics. We purchased a couple colors. She's donating the quilt to Linus. They get lots of quilts for babies, not too many for teenagers, and we think an artistically inclined teen might really like this one.
By the way, Jocelyn's blocks match up PERFECTLY. No one would ever guess this was anyone's first attempt at quilting!