Friday, January 30, 2009

Everyone should clean out the closet now and then

A few days ago I was trying to find the right size sheets in the linen closet and decided it was time to reorganize and maybe get rid of a few things. When I lifted the stack off the top shelf, look what I found!
I had forgotten all about this little crib quilt that I made about 20 years ago! I had made a disastrous attempt at quilting in college and still had no idea what I was doing. I had some fabric scraps from baby clothes I had made, that dark blue with yellow and red flowers was from an apron I made in high school (!!), I had some scraps from my sister, etc. Most of the squares date from the 1970's, a few from the 60's. I pieced them together and then went to the fabric store for help. The clerk was not a quilter (no quilt shops in town then) and so it was the blind leading the blind. I ended up using a polyester batting, folding the back over the front to make the border, and then tying the quilt. But it has held up to many washings. I can't believe I forgot this quilt! We had it out in the family room when the kids were little, so it was in constant use for many years.
And here are the other two 9 patches I made for Bumble Beans' fundraiser quilt (you can read about it on my previous post). Digging in my scrap bin was another trip down memory lane. All the fabrics but one are from the last few years when I took up quilting, but that darker blue is from a maternity dress I made when I was pregnant with DD#1, who is now 24 years old. I was never much of a seamstress because I couldn't get things to fit properly, but that doesn't matter much with clothes for babies and pregnant ladies!

16 comments:

Quiltycat said...

Your crib quilt looks very modern!
nichi

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

That super cool quilt looks like it could have been made with a lot of the fabrics that are current these days. What's old is new again, huH? Congrats on the great sewing table, enjoy.

Donna said...

amazing how those early works can be completely forgotten. Hope it brings a smile and joy to you and your family having rediscovered it :-)

Cathi said...

What a treat that little quilt is. Amazing teh treasures we find when we clean out closets and sewing areas!

meggie said...

I have a very old crochet rug my children loved when they were small. If they felt sick, they always wanted it to snuggle into. I almost threw it out, but my daughter was horrorfied. LOL

sewkalico said...

I think it's a classic! And a real treasure!!

Joyce said...

Beautiful. I have an old worn out very badly made quilt from the 70's that my grandchildren love. Those kinds of things should never be thrown out I guess.

Tonya Ricucci said...

that quilt is cute - you did a great job esp considering the lack of experience. Even then you had a great eye for color.

jillytacy said...

What a great find! This looks like the kind of quilt I'd make. What a great way to persevere memories!

Michael5000 said...

Aww, it's cute! Its got that naive charm! You must be happy to be reacquainted!

M5K

Lisa said...

That little quilt is so much fun :o) Great fabric mix.

dutchcomfort said...

What a great find!

I agree with your post title!

Amy said...

What a gem. I love it.

Clare said...

It's amazing what can be found at the back of the linen cupboard! Lovely little quilt and no doubt packed full of memories, as well as poly batting.

Cher said...

what a charming scrap quilt and so well loved-how fun to re-discover it!
love all the colors

Victoria said...

I just adore your precious crib quilt, and think it's extra special with all of the memories it holds!