Thursday, May 19, 2011

Zig zags

I really hated that strippy quilt I posted yesterday, so I am inspired to post something I like better! I wanted to put a zig-zag border around my sticks and stones quilt, and thought maybe I'd use black and white fabric that's mostly black for the zig zag, and use scrappy reds for the background. But my quilt group convinced me that a multi-colored background would be more fun. One hundred and twenty-eight HST's later, I started laying them out. (There will be an inner border, not shown here.)
The zig zag did not pop -- too much distraction! So I put the same colors together and it does emphasize the zig zag more.
But of course, being scrappy, I didn't have even amounts of each color, and I found that a little too boring...so I started joining different fabrics of the same color and similar tone.
And now I'm thinking of perhaps stretching it a bit further -- same color but tones just a little bit further apart.

Aren't design decisions fun?

14 comments:

floribunda said...

I really like the direction this is heading...

Twisted Quilts said...

Looks great! I like the tones very much. I like using black and white myself.

Clare said...

I'm seriously in black and white at the moment. When I finally get round to finishing off those liberated log cabins, black and white are going to be the fillers.

Mary Johnson said...

Yes they are! And I don't know where this latest jelly roll quilt fascination came from but I'm with you, I'm not of fan of any of the ones I've seen. There are lots of easy quilts I like much, much better.

Unknown said...

It looks great!! Once again I am just loving your colors... I haven't quilted yet this week (my sewing space has been invaded with totes of stuff from my newly graduated son--must reclaim my space!!)

Sandra said...

That's a lot of half-square triangles! What an perfect frame for your colorful quilt!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

like the zig zags! good to find what excites you!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee!!!! yeah, definitely prefer the like colors together. glad you're getting to play with something you like and enjoy.

audreypawdrey said...

I love the like colors together without it being perfectly matchy. It is going to be beautiful!

Maggie Szafranski said...

Definitely looks better with the same colors/tones! Great job!

sewkalico said...

Wow! What a wonderful border - I already love the quilt top and now it will be even more awesome!

jillytacy said...

This is beautiful! I love the zigzag border and all of the black and white! Gorgeous!

em's scrapbag said...

Love the zig zag border! And yes design decisions are the best

Rosalyn Manesse said...

It should be illegal to have so much fun with triangles