Saturday, April 28, 2007

Blocks

A couple months ago I found an Oriental Lanterns quilt on the About.com quilting site. I love Asian prints and since this pattern calls for a large number of those fabrics, I thought it would make a good swap pattern for the guild. It's easy to make. Dorothy, the swap and lotto chair, was very willing to use the pattern but wanted to try it as a block lotto first to see if there might be enough interest in a swap.
I don't know whether enough people will be interested, or whether those interested will have any Asian prints. There are more midwestern traditionalists in the guild than there are people who like modern designs, or quilts with a more international flair. We'll see if anyone responds. Wish me luck! It was nice of Dorothy to give it a try.

I also made this very traditional block. Every year the guild holds a retreat at the same place near Princeton, Illinois. The center needs to raise money for refurbishing, and so the guild decided to make a raffle quilt to help them. I took home a packet and made this block for the quilt.


I'm really glad they provided all the fabrics, because my scraps don't look like this! That's the problem with swaps and such -- it's really hard to end up with a coordinated look since no one has control over the fabrics other people choose. You can specify color or style, but it's never enough!

No comments: