Friday, June 20, 2008

O frabjous day!

I was so excited to see a little box in the mail when my neighbor gave me everything that had been delivered while we were away. In it were these great half-square triangles from Quiltdiva Julie! When she first posted that she was making an Inside the Rabbit Hole quilt, I couldn't believe the coincidence -- I had just been designing a jabberwocky quilt in my head (my mental quilts are always far more stunning than my actual quilts). We exchanged ideas about what a jabberwocky quilt would look like, and then Julie sent me her extra HST's from her Rabbit Hole quilt. Such a wonderful gift! It was totally unexpected and all the more delightful for that. Thank you, Julie.

For those of you whose memory of jabberwocky is hazy, here it is. It's from Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.

11 comments:

Cathi said...

Oooh -- I can't wait to see your quilt -- those HST's are wonderful and bright and cheerful!

Clare said...

One of my all time fav poems. Can't wait to see what yo com up with.

Nines said...

I know what you mean about the imagined project versus the reality projects- but that's all part of the fun, isn't it? Love the poem- always a favorite- so fluid.

jillytacy said...

What great mail! How nice of Julie to share with you!
I have the same problem. My projects look better in my head than in reality. It's a bit disappointing sometimes!

Lisa said...

Oh I have loved that since learning it in school. I think it is great inspiration for a quilt and can't wait to see what you come up with.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Frabjous, indeed! What a wonderful surprise!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

A very inspiring poem, to be sure.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I can't wait to see how your jabberwocky quilt evolves. Rabbit Hole has surprised me several times along the way. Hope you have as much fun with yours!

Paula, the quilter said...

The Jabberwocky poem is ok. But really, I think The Walrus and The Carpenter is better.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--

I do love the color of the HST and can't wait to see what you do with them.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Eye candy indeed! Now what will you make? I love exchanges and gifts like this one... puts the mind outside its box and stretches the imagination! Have fun!!

Gene Black said...

I dearly love "Jabberwocky" and frequently quote it to the annoyance of some.

I can't wait to see your Jabberwocky quilt.