Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Line Design

Today my iGoogle homepage had a link to How to Create a Line Design in Wikihow. Wikihow is always fun to browse.
This is, of course, more complicated than some, but not at all hard if you read their directions. I was thinking what fun it would be to make a quilt based on one of these line designs. You could have lots of fun with color, shading, illusions... The piecing would be tricky, but I was thinking of doing a simple design with large-ish pieces. If I got overwhelmed, I could return to some free piecing -- until I got overwhelmed with that!

My boot comes off tomorrow -- I can hardly wait! Been doing some quilting (a big zigzag for Otto's quilt and more stars), but will wait to put it together until I can get up and down more easily. Those long border strips are tricky (and I'll use any excuse to put off doing a border, my least favorite thing!).

8 comments:

Belvie said...

It would be great to do a quilt using a line drawing.

Glad to hear you are about to get rid of that boot!

Donna said...

hope that getting the strength back in that foot/leg doesn't take too long...

Joyce said...

I think it would look good with just colored thread on a light plain background. You'd have to be precision on the machine though. That leaves me out.

Pattie said...

I can feel that creative brain of yours just churning away, even out here in California! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Hope you do something fun tomorrow to celebrate the boot coming off. No foot races though, ok? :-)

Cher said...

that line drawing reminds me of the spiralgraph toy, like an etchasketch that we played with as children, cool. A challenge to turn into fabric but would be very fun!

sewkalico said...

It would be a great start to a design. I've never done a geometric quilt, but do admire some of them!

Elsie Montgomery said...

My first thought was "string art" but the idea of quilting a piece like this would be really interesting. Thanks for the link!

Toni said...

you always post interesting links! My dad use to make line art when I was growing up. This reminded me of that! Now to do a dimensional quilt with this technique would be cool!