Monday, February 07, 2011

Colorful Coins

I love scrappy, I love color, and I love using up odds and ends.
At one of our Project Linus worknights a few of us dug through our string bins and started sewing coin stacks by color. We got a few stacks done but then the project just sat waiting for almost a year.
Today I pulled out the stacks and finished them up, then reined in the colors with a dotted white.
It's so easy for coin stacks to get crooked and w-O-b-b-L-y, so I like to sew small chunks, trim to size, and then add the trimmed stacks to each other. My gridded ironing board is one of my favorite sewing tools--it's so easy to see what's straight and what's not! Wonky is wonderful as a design element, but not so great as a construction flaw.
This is just the top, not yet quilted. I think I'll use a rainbow of strings in the binding to give a little line of color around the edge. I like this layout color-wise -- in many rainbow patterns the colors are offset by one in each row, which gives you a color diagonal. I offset these by two, which breaks up the color lines and keeps your eye moving around the quilt more.

Project Linus gets this quilt, and I hope it makes a child happy. It made me happy to make it! And I like it so much, I may make a version for myself.

14 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Very pretty! I also work in shorter sections when I'm making coins quilts.

Clare said...

It makes me think of a paint chart!

How many strips do you sew together before going on to the next one?

Toni said...

Love the colorful coins, definitely a bright fun quilt!!

Mary said...

That top is really fun! I don't have enough strings to make one, but I surely like it. Simple.

VivJM said...

Wow, loving this colourful quilt. Sometimes the simplest designs are the most effective!

sewkalico said...

It's gorgeous! I've never tried a coin quilt, but thanks for the construction tips should I ever try!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

This is gorgeous and just makes one smile...I'm sure it will be well loved by some lucky child.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

"Somewhere over the rainbow" what a super collection of fabrics!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

This is great! I'm always a sucker for anything rainbow. ;-)

Pat said...

There is going to be one lucky child out there. I love "Project Linus". I make quilts for them also.

jillytacy said...

It's beautiful! I love the bright colors, it's sure to make some child very happy!

Unknown said...

I've done an African coin, using ethnic prints and black background.

Where did you get that ironing board?

Anonymous said...

I have always loved this pattern. The colors really pop right off the screen too.

Great project and pictures.

Enjoy your day.

Rebel said...

Oh I love the rainbow one. I did a similar stacked coins one and I know exactly what you mean about them going crooked. I just kept going with it and tried to make up for it with the sashing.