Sunday, February 27, 2011

Flimsies and fun

How do you recover from knee surgery? Well, the first few days, you keep your knee elevated -- but then you keep your spirits up by quilting!
I can't do anything where I have to crawl around on the floor, or stand up too long while cutting, so I'm finishing up some UFOs. Today I pulled out the strip twist quilt I started a couple years ago. I needed more strips, couldn't find fabrics I was happy with, and put it away. Today I laid it out, thinking I might just use what I have to make a small throw, but then I played around a bit with the layout. The traditional layout is below, but what I'm thinking of now is on top -- setting the blocks differently and putting white sashing between them. I'm a little concerned about some of the dotted whites in the outer edges of the blocks, but I think I like it. Thoughts?
I needed to work on that bright, sunny quilt today because I spent yesterday piecing together blocks I won in a block lotto about 5 years ago. Yuck!! I hate how dull they are, how boring. Not my style at all. The colors are not quite as bad as they appear in this photo, but I didn't enjoy working on it. But it feels good to be DONE! Someone will like it -- I'm donating it and asking that it be quilted with bright thread and butterfly designs (most of the bigger squares have flowers).
I also made some blocks for the Block Lotto that Julie at Floribunda told me about.  They do some wonderful blocks -- February was wonky string hearts. Fun! And more fun when I took the huge bandage off my knee. What's that beneath the wrapping? BATTING?!?! Sure looked like it!

And how cool is this?
It's from a wonderful site called Dornob that has design ideas. It's not a quilting site, but has lots of inspiring stuff. The photo above is from their page where they show vintage furniture rehabed with patchwork -- take a look by clicking HERE.

13 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What kind of knee surgery? I suspect there is one or more varieties in my future . . .

Yes, it sure does look like batting!

Mary Johnson said...

I do like the top layout, it's similar to my spiderweb quilt. Maybe choosing a different color sashing would work if you're concerned about the lights. I used a green for mine, made it wide and added pinwheel cornerstones.

http://www.maryquilts.com/spiderweb-quilt/

Hope your recovery goes well.

em's scrapbag said...

I really like the top layout. I've seen a few of the string hearts and love them. I see some in my future. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

OOO--that knee looks lousy--hope it's not too painful! Love those heart blocks--

Libby said...

Hey Cheri, hope your recovery continues to be smooth and quilty! I enjoy your block lotto top, although I can understand why it wouldn't be the most fun to work on :)

audreypawdrey said...

The top block squares are so fun, and I really love the string hearts. I hope your knee starts feeling better!

audreypawdrey said...

The top block squares are so fun, and I really love the string hearts. I hope your knee starts feeling better!

Lisa said...

Hope that your knee heals soon!! Love the strip twist and the hearts, both so vibrant.

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Ouch! That knee doesn't look good. I hope your recovery is going well!

I like the idea of the white sashing for those strip blocks. It'll be fun and fresh. Oh and thanks so much for sharing that link to the patchwork furniture. I loved it! And what's more, my husband thought they were pretty cool as well.

AnnieO said...

Wow, that is an impressive bandage! I hope you are recovering nicely from your procedure. Having to use crutches or hobble certainly must get tiresome quickly. Glad you're finding lots of fabric play to keep your mind and hands busy :)

sewkalico said...

Love the string blocks and can see that's more your colour scheme than those other blocks, but someone will love them. The hearts are fab, but the poor knee looks like a big balloon - hope it's better now!

Tonya Ricucci said...

I had that under my big huge bandages too! fun hearts for the Block Lotto - they really do do fun stuff!

jillytacy said...

I hope you're feeling better now! My mom had both knees replaced last April. It took her a while to bounce back.