Wednesday, June 03, 2009

How clever is this?

I wish I could take credit for this Drunkard's Path quilt, but it was in with some fabric I bought at a guild auction.
This is no larger than a placemat, and the Drunkard's Path is not pieced, but it's fussy cut from circles. What a great result!
Along with the little quilt came the fabric that was used to make it -- look closely and you can see the holes where the circles were cut out for the little quilt. I discovered the gaps when I started to cut a strippie quilt for Project Linus with them. I'm not going to be able to cut enough strips from the Swiss cheese fabric, so I'll end up making a different quilt with them. No big deal -- they are such fun fabrics!
Here are 6 strippie quilt kits I cut today (which is why I haven't been making progress on my own projects -- we have a worknight tomorrow and I'm getting prepared). Just in case you don't know about Mary Johnson's easy but wonderful patterns for donation quilts, hop over to Mary Quilts and take a look. It's an incredible resource and Mary has generously donated her time and talents so that quilters can download these patterns for free. She also has a blog, MaryQuilts - Making Scrap Quilts from Stash, and runs the Heartstrings Quilt Project. I've decided to make strippie quilts tomorrow night (listed on Mary Quilts as Quick Strippie, under Q) because we can piece lots of tops in very little time. At the moment my friend Joe, who has a new longarm machine, is practicing on Project Linus tops, and we aim to keep him very busy!

12 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

The Strippie quilts are perfect for practicing longarm quilting -- in fact I made my first few when I wanted to practice some border designs and needed some quick donation quilts.

Beena said...

Pieced or otherwise, this is an adorable little drunkards path! Love the polka dots!

If I ever get my Voyager setup, I'll have to remember this!

Cathi said...

What a great Drunkard's Path quilt! I've read about that technique but it's fabulous to see one actually done that way! Looks super!

Gari in AL said...

I try to make a donation quilt at least every other month and then use them to practice or learn new quilting techniques.

Millie said...

The drunkard's path is just terrific. I love those colors and fabrics.

Anonymous said...

That drunkards path was a good idea, way easier than the book i have for it (and haven't used!)
Your little kits have the cutest novelty fabrics!

Clare said...

I adore the colours in the Drunkard's Path. Looking at the placemat and then looking at the scraps that came with it, you can see how simple it is to put together.

Mary's site is a God send!

Joyce said...

Great idea for the Drunkard's Path but too bad about the Swiss cheese fabric at the end of it. I do love polka dot fabrics.

SueR said...

That is pretty clever, the way the circles were cut for the drunkard's path quilt. Nice colors too!

Libby said...

I have a yard or two of fabric with extra large polka dots that was specifically designed to be used for "faux drunkard's path" patterns. Sadly the colors are not as fabulous as what you got! What a fun thing to find :)

Victoria said...

What an amazing little quilt top!
Great find!

sewkalico said...

You are also very generous with your time!