Saturday, November 01, 2008

Getting fleeced

The Central Illinois chapter of Project Linus has a wonderful project to donate blankets this Christmas to the children of women in prison. And not just any blankets, but blankets made to order. The women provide the first name, age, favorite color, and their child's interests, and PL volunteers made blankets for each child. Many were quilts, a few were knit or crochet, and quite a few were fleece. This week I made these for a boy who likes all kinds of sports, a girl who loves pink, and another girl who loves purple and rainbow colors. (Can you guess who gets which?)
These blankets are quick and easy, but they have a very finished look. The Fringed Fleece pattern is on the Project Linus website. You can buy fleece on sale and make a blanket in just a couple hours for a quick donation quilt. They'd be great holiday gifts, too.

This morning I delivered 10 bags of quilts -- 6 bags for the inmates' children project and 4 for general PL use. And NO, I did not make all those quilts!! Most were made by members of my guild, and some were dropped off by others in the community. Today was our deadline, and I've really been working this week to get everything done. I also finished this quilt, shown here before I quilted and bound it. I'm not crazy about the Yellow Brick Road pattern, but someone donated a kit and the fabrics were perfect for one teenager who likes nature and outdoor activities. The backing is a leafy fern print and there's a row of leftover blocks from the front stitched in, too.

It feels great to have participated in making these blankets, and I know that come Christmas I will feel good every time I think about children clutching the blankets they received with a card from their absent mothers. This donation project is called "Here's A Hug," and I hope the kids feel loving arms around them when they wrap up in their blankets. Quilts can warm our hearts in more than one way.

Still, I'm excited to get back to my own projects that have been on the back burner for awhile. I'm off!

17 comments:

Norma said...

I have always felt a blanket or quilt was a hug made from fabric. What a great project, not only for the kids but for the Mom's as well. Sometimes all it takes is one act of kindness to make all the difference in someone's life. Blessings for all you helped! (I love the rainbow blanket!).

dutchcomfort said...

What a wonderful donation project and the idea to call quilts and blankets hugs, I like that very much!
The quilts look all very cozy and warm! Hope you find some time to work on your own projects too!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wow, ya'all are doing a great job. love that rainbow fleece - snuggly.

Clare said...

Fantastic job - well done you! I think fleece is so snuggly and cuddly. I know exactly how you feel about getting back to your own projects. I'm sewing up a storm, but its all red and white.

Love those ear-rings and Otto's quilt is so lovely, as is he.

Vicki W said...

What a great project! Sometimes I think that people prefer getting gifts like the fleece blankets over fancy quilts. One year I machine quilted double layer fleece blankets for gifts and everyone went crazy for them.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Great project. I've made blankets for wheelchair patients at the hospital. But, we didn't have specific requests. That would be so much nicer, I think. I imagine the people recieving the blanket would appreciate it differently.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Great project. I've made blankets for wheelchair patients at the hospital. But, we didn't have specific requests. That would be so much nicer, I think. I imagine the people recieving the blanket would appreciate it differently.

Unknown said...

I so admire ALL quilt charity work. Such a wonderful gift.

I am with you about the Yellow Brick Road pattern. But my friend the Checker rep says it's near the top of all-time best selling patterns.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Yeah to all who helped create the quilts that filled all those bags! Quilters have such wonderfult hearts...

Re YBR - someone on another blog (memory failing me here) made the blocks then sliced each one in half before re-assembling them to create more randomness. Looked good when they finished - may try this with a batch of fabrics I'm at a loss with... YBR is a dependable, functional pattern, especially as a jumping off point for those afraid to go "liberated" without a safety harness.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Now, that's what I call the real spirit of Christmas--not all the shopping to buy fancy gifts.

jacquie said...

there's something about cuddling up in fleece that's so comforting. good for you!

Toni said...

Cheri, you are a such a generous person! I think all your donations will be loved and appreciated! You are a wonderful example!

meggie said...

Very pretty fleece blankets!
I do like your colours for the quilt too.

Elsie Montgomery said...

"Here's a hug" is a wonderful title for this super project. And I like your Yellow Brick Road quilt - good colors.

Thanks for your comment on my blog yesterday, and I'm done the charity quilt today too (just need to sew on the label) and need to get back to those UFO - PhD items!

Blessings, and happy quilting!

laura west kong said...

That's so wonderful! I need to check out the Project Linus website and try to make a dent in my fleece stash ^_^

trash said...

What a lovely project. You and guild members should feel suitably proud.

Am blog-hopping my way through Chookyblue's SSCS list to see who else is playing along.

Helen in the UK said...

Those fleece blankets look super snuggly and fun! Congrats to you and everyone that contributed to those 10 bags of quilts - what a fantastic achievement. I agree with Roz who said earlier in the comment list that THIS demonstrates the true meaning of Christmas :)