Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hearts for Shannon



Jocelyn has a good friend who just adopted a baby girl named Shannon. I had just adopted (well, ok, bought) a new sewing machine, and so it seemed like the right thing to try it out on a baby quilt. I wanted hearts, and lots of bright colors. Looks like I got both. :)



My new machine can do a little embroidery, so I decided to put Shannon's name under one of the hearts. It worked! I used the variegated thread and practiced. I didn't want to have the yellow on the variegated thread disappear against the yellow fabric, but I was able to work it out. Thank goodness her name wasn't longer! (Don't worry -- I did get rid of those long tails of thread you see in the photo.)



Here's a corner with a little heart. This is not a complicated pattern -- squares with appliqued hearts separated by sashing -- but it was my first experience figuring out how to do this without help from a teacher. I'm very happy with the colors, but the border fabric was really tricky to work with. I do like having one heart on the quilt be in the border fabric.



This is my first quilt label. I don't think every quilt has to be labeled, but this was a gift and I wanted the little girl's name and birthday on it. I let my machine do the embroidery, but it took awhile to figure out how to get it done. It's a little wobbly, but it's readable.

I hated to say goodbye to this quilt. I love it, and I hope Shannon will grow up loving it, too. Jocelyn gave it to Shannon's mother today. I had included a color sheet for washing, but the mom told Jocelyn that there was no way that quilt was going to have any bodily fluids on it to be washed off -- it is going on the wall!

No comments: