Saturday, September 03, 2005

My Quilting Blog

My daughter Jocelyn set up this blog for me. What fun! All those Q's in the title are her idea, and I like them.

I made a few feeble attempts at quilting many years ago, but I had no idea what I was doing. The first quilt I made, in 1970, I gave as a baby gift to my newborn niece Laurel. It disintegrated the first time it was washed! That did me in. Over the years I occasionally bought quilt instruction books and looked longingly through them, but I was intimidated.

This past winter we spent 5 months in California for my husband Brian's sabbatical and I decided to try again. I signed up for a quilting class and borrowed a sewing machine. In the wonderful way that things sometimes work, it was my niece Laurel -- all grown up now and with a baby of her own (for whom she has made many beautiful quilts!) -- who lent me her machine. I loved the class, I loved the fabric, I loved the patterns, I loved everything about quilting. I was hooked.

My plan is to post photos of my quilts so that I can easily share them with far-flung friends and family. In addition to Laurel and lots of my family in California, Esther, the mother of a good friend, gave me a lot of encouragement when I told her of my interest in quilting. She lives in North Carolina. I also want to be able to look back at the quilts I've made. I've already given one away and am about to give away another. The photos I post here will be good reminders.

If you are a friend or family member, or someone who has stumbled across this blog another way, enjoy! I frequently look at others' quilting blogs, and I hope this gives as much pleasure to fellow quilters as their sites have given to me.

No comments: