Sunday, September 04, 2005

Passover Table Runner



I found this adorable ten plagues table runner as a kit on the 1-800-DREIDEL website. It came complete with fabrics, though you can also order just the pattern and buy your own fabrics. I ordered the whole kit, but replaced a few of the fabrics with ones I purchased. I thought it was time to make something without doing it in a class setting, and Passover (April 2005) was coming up. This looked easy. For the most part it was, but the heavier matzah fabric was a little hard to work with. I had a hard time with the binding -- finishing off the side where the binding meets is tough, and you can see a big lump on the side of this. I took out that part of the binding after the photo was taken and tried to fix it. It's better, but still not great. I have since learned a much much MUCH easier way to do bindings that look great every time, and I'll post that info later.




Here are some closeups so you can see the fabrics. Across the top row and then the bottom row, the plagues are: blood, frogs, vermin, wild beasts, cattle disease, boils, hail, locusts, darkness, death of the first born.

I have another kit just like this and I am hoping that the next one will come out more professional looking. I want to give one to each of my daughters eventually, and I will let them decide who gets one of their mom's earliest quilts and who gets the better-looking one! Both are made with love. (Awwww....)

2 comments:

kitten said...

Does it matter what materials you use?
Thanks!
kitten

jovaliquilts said...

You can use whatever fabric you want. If you don't want to buy the kit, you can order just the matzah fabric for the borders and binding from the same place I posted for the kit, and find your own fabrics for the plagues. I substitued fabrics I found for a few of theirs. You don't even have to use matzah fabric, but I think it really adds something special to this.
Cheri