Monday, September 12, 2005

Project Linus & Katrina Quilts

Project Linus collects quilts for children up to age 18. My local quilt guild, the Illini Country Stitchers, collects them for distribution through the local Crisis Nursery and elsewhere as needed. We are sending some now to aid Katrina victims. I'm on the Project Linus committee and came home from our last work day with a big bag of scraps that were too small to do much with. I cut them into blocks and supplemented with some pale blocks I had cut for my machine applique class but never used. I stitched them all together and came up with this quilt. (I'm also making another in a different style, but I'll post that later.)



I supplemented from my own stash and also purchased the orange fabric for the border and binding. It's not my favorite quilt, but it's bright and cheery and has lots for a kid to look at.



Here's a closeup of one section so you can see the prints a little better. The hearts were appliqued during my machine applique class. I didn't really have a use for them, and they matched the extra blocks I was using, so I added them to the quilt.

It feels good to turn donated scraps into something useful. I hope whatever child receives this quilt, or any other donated quilt, really feels warmed by it -- inside and out.

No comments: